At the age of six years old, children across Uganda become eligible to start attending school. To many children and parents, this is a very exciting time, but unfortunately, children from hard to reach areas such as refugee camps and rural communities struggle with their studies due to limited access to learning resources.

The educational gap is even bigger within rural communities and refugee camps where there is a big shortage of teachers and learning resources as a result of the daily increasing numbers of refugee children.


Today Uganda is Africa’s largest refugee-hosting nation, with more than 1.4 million refugees. Nearly 800,000 of these refugees below the age of 18, however, according to SIT Digital Collection research, only 41% were attending school in 2017. This leaves 59% (472,000) of refugee children out of school. Further, according to the Ugandan Ministry of Education, only 11% of these students were able to enroll for secondary education in 2018. While the effects of civil war on the lives of refugees cannot be ignored, lack of sufficient resources and quality education delivery systems in refugee camps remain two root causes for the problems school-going refugees face.

Pre-order Your African Quest